March 2, 2015 – It was August 1987 when the parents of Andy and Doug Hoiland had first had their driveway seal coated. Unfortunately for the two boys, they did not like the service that was done to their driveway. It was seal coating was poorly made. There were cracks that were left unfilled, footprints were present on the sealer of the sidewalk and there were still oil spots that were seeping out.
Soon after, the boys found out that almost every paving company did their seal coating only on the sides and because of the revelation, Andy and Doug had decided to start their own paving business. Andy Hoiland along with the new company, Jet-Black coated his first driveway in Minneapolis, MN back in 1987. Jet-Black specializes in none other than seal coating, a specialty where most companies have failed to master.
Jet-Black grew rapidly over the years and this has led the paving company to start franchising their company name in the year 1993.
As of today, Jet-Black currently has 96 franchised territories in thirteen different states. All in all, the paving company primarily focuses on seal coating and it has accounted for 85% of the company’s services. The remaining 15% goes to line striping.
With 250 employees around the United States, it would come as no surprise when it is revealed that Jet-Black was able to complete about 20,000 jobs in 2014 alone.
The CFO of Jet-Black Franchise Group, Nick Kelso, said that starting a franchising system was a very difficult job and that the first franchisees were Andy Hoiland’s acquaintances. The expansion was first made in Minnesota but it quickly spread to the other states.
Jet-Black had a different approach when it comes to marketing their franchise. Instead of convincing people to go at it alone, they emphasized the advantage of franchising.
Quality is also a main focus of the company that is why they always audits and onsite inspections. They said that they have strict quality standards. All of the franchise owners are required to use advance equipment, have mastery on the applications and use only products of the highest quality.